Stringer Flavour E-mail Call +44 (0)1442 822621
home about us flavour centre customer services enquiries   international recruitment

Flavour Centre

Making it easy for you to select the right flavour for your food application. Why not request a flavour sample today?

flavour image
Flavour Workshop

Introduction to flavours

What is a flavour?

A flavour is a mixture compounded from natural and/or synthetic aromatic substances, designed to impart, modify enhance or mask odour and/or taste, used in or intended for use on foodstuffs and excludes substances which have exclusively a sweet, sour or salt taste.

What is a flavour used for?

Used primarily to impart/enhance the named flavour.
Replaces flavour where this has been lost as a result of harsh processing conditions.
Masks unpleasant tastes or odours.
Replaces or enhances expensive food ingredients, thereby reducing costs.

EU categories of flavouring

Natural "X" Flavouring - may only be used when the flavouring component has been obtained exclusively or by at least 95% w/w from the cited source, the other maximum 5% w/w must also be natural.

Natural "X" Flavouring with other natural flavourings - may only be used when the flavouring component has been partially derived from the cited source and the flavour source is easily recognisable.

Natural Flavouring - may only be used for flavourings where the flavouring part contains natural flavouring substances and/or flavouring preparations.

Flavouring - no distinction is made between nature-identical and artificial substances both of which are regarded as "Flavouring Substances".

Thermal Process Flavourings - a product obtained after heat treatment from a mixture of ingredients not necessarily having flavouring properties themselves(at least one nitrogen source and one reducing sugar)

Smoke flavourings - fractionation and purification of a condensed smoke.


Flavour Selector

  1. Introduction to flavours
  2. Selecting the right flavour

peach flavoursstrawberry flavours